PLEASE NOTE: this method ONLY works in Ableton Live Suite. If you are using Ableton Live Intro or Standard, please visit this link for an alternative method.
Ableton Live does not natively allow for multiple MIDI channel output from MIDI plugins. However, one of our wonderful customers, Avynaria, has created this amazing FREE tool that enables you to easily route InstaComposer to multiple instruments in Ableton Live Suite. This solution ONLY works in Ableton Live Suite, as it requires Max for Live, which is only available in the Suite edition.
- Download the InstaComposer Wrapper device from here.
- Download the Max 7 Pitch and Time Machines from here.
- Open Ableton Live Suite on your computer.
- Drag the Max7PitchandTimeMachines_r43196_v1.0.alp file into Ableton and allow it to install.
- In a new Ableton project, create 6 MIDI tracks (or 7 for InstaComposer 2).
- Drag the Instacomposer Wrapper.amxd file onto the first MIDI track.
- Click the SAVE icon on the InstaComposer Wrapper so that it saves to your library. It will now be available under Max MIDI Effects in your Ableton library the next time you want to use it.
- Now, in the InstaComposer Wrapper, click RESCAN.
- In the dropdown that appears, select InstaComposer.
- For now, you can close the InstaComposer window.
- Now, under Max MIDI Effects in your Max for Live User Library, drag Max MIDI Receiver onto the remaining 5 empty tracks (or 6 for InstaComposer 2).
- Add each of the 5 instruments you wish to use to these 5 tracks (or 6 instruments/tracks for InstaComposer 2).
- Now, on each of your instrument tracks, click RECEIVE on the Max MIDI Receiver and select the channel you want the instrument to receive from InstaComposer (corresponds to the channel selected on the track in InstaComposer).
- In your InstaComposer Wrapper, click SETTINGS to open the InstaComposer window.
- Now, click ALL in the bottom left and GO to generate patterns on all 5 or 6 channels.
- Finally, click PLAY in your DAW, and then click PLAY in InstaComposer.
- If done correctly, you should be good to go :)
If you would prefer to skip steps 5-18 (except for 6, as you will need to do this once to load the Max device), you can download our Ableton Template here.